Thursday, September 6, 2012

Number 17

A guy was walking in the woods one day and came upon this other guy squatted down in front of a campfire, holding a stick into the fire as if he were roasting a weenie, or a marshmallow. But upon closer inspection, the first guy noticed that there wasn't anything on the end of the second guy's stick -- and then the end of the stick caught on fire. The second guy quickly pulled it out of the fire and blew out the flame. He looked carefully at the stick, then turned it around with a chuckle, and stuck the other end of it into the fire, still with not a weenie or marshmallow on site.
The second guy would be me, roasting maple sticks to make stools out of, trying to make a buck, you know.
The scorched maple stools seem to be popular, so I'm trying to make as many as I can until I run out of maple to scorch. Seems as though this will be the second to the last one, unless I find some extra time to cut, debark and scorch some more maple sticks.
 The seat of this stool is made from pine pallet lumber, left over from the coffee table I made (previous post). I don't know what kind of pine this is, but it's as tough as can be.
(I'm hoping that eventually somebody reading this blog will know more about tree species than I do. I've got to admit, sometimes I've just guessed on what species of lumber I'm using, especially when it's reclaimed lumber. This has an aromatic pitch in it, though, so I'm saying it's some kind of pine.)
Anyhoo, I guess it's pretty much immaterial just what kind of wood it is you're sitting on, so long as it looks good, and is strong enough to hold you up ... and this stool is both. There are a couple of photos below.
It's for sale for $65. (Sorry, this stool is already sold). If interested, please contact me through the comments section of this blog, or by email at lewagner2002@yahoo.com. For some general information about these stools, please see Introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment