Sunday, September 16, 2012

Number 19

Well, I've gone through a fair amount of drama last week, but still managed to complete a stool. It's made of sumac wood again, from a neighbor's yard.


This is the same wood I used in stool #10, which is already sold. I link you to the blog entry for that stool so you can see example pictures, since I don't have any pictures of the finished stool #19, only pictures of the seat while I'm working on it. And, you can see two of the sides of the stool already finished, behind the unscraped boards, on the far upper left of the picture, below.
 I started with some old pine boards which had been lying out in the grass deteriorating for several years. I scraped off all the soft deteriorating wood, using a knife point, a nail, a wire brush, sandpaper, finger-nails, etc., and converted the wood on the left above into the wood on the right and below. Kind of like turning water into wine, or something like that, except it took me a couple of days to do it. (I'm turning some apples into wine, too, by the way, but that will take a few months.)
Here are a couple of pictures of the boards just about ready to mount onto the stool sides taken at two different camera settings -- there will be one more board, not yet shown.
Unfortunately, I didn't get to take any pictures of the finished stool before writing this blog entry, and also unfortunately, I'm no longer able to use the garage I was using to make my stools. The half-dozen completed-but-not-yet-sold stools are now stored in the shelter of an old car parked in a field, and the pile of sticks and other wood I've peeled, prepared and had stored inside that garage are now in a 2-wheeled trailer in the same field, under the protection of a blue plastic tarp.

The owner of the garage "Needs [her] privacy!" and doesn't want the garage "All full of wood and sticks!!" anymore.
Right now, I'm living in an apartment in Duluth, and most of my stuff is still in Munger, but hopefully I'll soon have a place where I can continue making and selling these stools. Hey, I kind of need the income, if you know what I mean.
This stool is for sale for $65. If interested, please contact me through the comments section of this blog, or by email at lewagner2002@yahoo.com. For general info and more pictures please see older posts, and the Introduction to this blog.

Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment