Monday, June 25, 2012

Introduction

My name is Lloyd Wagner, I'm a went-broke truck farmer, and I live in Duluth, Minnesota, USA.
This blog is for displaying my hand-crafted rustic stools. Each stool is different, though they are all based on the same design. I came up with the design by trial and error.


 The seat of each stool is 32 centimeters (about 13 inches) square, and the legs are 40 centimeters (about 16 inches) long, making the finished stool about 17 inches high.
The legs and bracing of the stools are constructed of locally gathered tree branches and twigs. The bigger branches are split with a hatchet, and the smaller ones are left round. The branches are first nailed together, and after the stool is assembled, all the joints are reinforced by wrapping and tying with steel wire. Therefore, the joints are very strong, and they will not work loose, as traditional doweled joints eventually do. Though the stools are light, they are strong enough to sit or even stand on.
The seats are made of recycled boards which I split along their natural grain with a hatchet, then fit to the framework and also tie with steel wire. Some stools have seats made of boards split from a larger piece of wood, rather than sawed boards -- this is possible with some species of wood, but not so possible with others which don't like to split in a straight line.
After the stools are completed, I coat them with several coats of water-based polyurethane.
Some of the stools I made are shown in this post. Subsequent posts will show and describe each stool individually, listed by number. They are for sale for $65 each, preferably by local pick-up only. (Update, 7-12-12: I'm checking into shipping by UPS, looks like around $20 in lower 48, but haven't actually gone to UPS and shipped any, yet.)
(Update, 11-17-12: As of right now, stools #1, #5, #6, #8, #18#19#21#22, and #24 are STILL AVAILABLE, and I'm working on more. Please click on the highlighted stool numbers above for more detailed information about the individual stools. If you like a certain kind of stool that's already sold, let me know. I can make another one, similar to it.)
If interested, please contact me through the comments section of this blog, or by email at lewagner2002@yahoo.com.


1 comment:

  1. Looks like some neat stools. I think there is some use for those in Minnesota and SE Asia.

    ReplyDelete