Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Number 22

This stool was made out of the same old lumber that stool #2 is made of. Back then I called the wood "Douglas Fir", but I'm going to hedge a little on the wood variety, and admit that I really have no clue what kind of wood this is. It's a fairly soft wood, yet evidently something that doesn't rot easily -- the green paint looks ancient, and the wood was just lying in the grass when I found it this spring, some of it almost buried in the dirt. Despite that, there was very little rot to scrape away. Compare with the seat from stool #19, which is made of pine. Judging from the condition of the paint, I don't think that wood is nearly as old as this wood.

 Notice that my current workbench doubles as a kitchen counter ... It works fine, as long as I keep most of the sawdust out of the food. Not that it would hurt anything, it's just kind of hard to chew.


Anyway, the wood grain is really nice on this stool. If you click on the pictures, you can enlarge them for a closer look. And, like all the other stools in this series, the joints are reinforced by being tied with wire. They don't come loose with use, and they're guaranteed strong.
This stool is for sale for $65. If you're interested, please contact me through the comments section of this blog, or by email at lewagner2002@yahoo.com. For general information about these stools, including a list of stools that are still available, please see older posts, and the Introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment