Monday, July 9, 2012

Number 11

Stool Number 7 got a lot of compliments, so I thought I'd make another stool using scorched maple wood. This time I got a branch from a tree in the yard, and peeled the bark off of it immediately, instead of leaving the sticks lay out in the woods for a month first. Instead of taking days to debark enough wood for a stool, it took about an hour this time.
Then, since the weather was nice for a change, instead of having to scorch the wood in a stove,  I was able to scorch it outside over an open fire, which was a lot easier to control.
The next step was to carry the sticks into the garage, wash my hands and take a shower. Then I left the wood sit on the table for a couple of weeks while I did other things until I got interested in making a stool again.
To prepare the wood, I first scraped the charcoal off with a knife, then cleaned it further with a nylon pot-scrubber, and finally polished it with a soft cloth.
For the seat, I'd found a nice hardwood board still partially attached to some furniture discarded on the brush pile, that bore a sticker saying "Made in Thailand".
I looked around the Internet, and determined that this wood is most likely rubberwood. Anyway, there was just enough of it for one stool seat. 
This stool is for sale for $65. If interested, please contact me through the comments section of this blog, or by email at lewagner2002@yahoo.com. Reference: Stool Number 11.  (Sorry, this stool is already sold.)
For general info about these stools, please see Introduction.













No comments:

Post a Comment