Monday, July 30, 2012

Number 14

It's Monday already, and I'm just now getting a new stool up on the board, here. I was hoping to do one a day, then two a week, then one a week ... and now it's been 8 full days already. Maybe that means I should jack the price up on these things.
Nah, they're selling, but not like hotcakes, yet, so I'll stick to the $65 I started with.
For this stool, I thought I'd try something a little different. The legs and sides are made of 4 different colors of wood. There aren't four different kinds of wood, because actually, two of the colors are the same kind of wood. There's weathered popple (gray), unweathered popple (almost white), alder (reddish brown), and scorched maple (almost black), in that order -- unless you start with the black first. And the seat is made of a chunk of the riser of an ancient wooden ladder I found laying out in the woods as I was helping my neighbor haul scrap a couple of months ago. It was all covered with green moss on the outside, but sound as a dollar inside (even sounder, actually, ha ha ha.)
This time, I thought I'd add a couple of pictures of the actual construction process, before the stool was completely braced, wired, or varnished. As a friend of mine told me last week, "If you wouldn't have them tied together with wire, they'd look pretty amateurish -- like they're ready to fall apart if you so much as look at them wrong. That there looks like some old codger was in a shack out in the woods and wanted to make him something to sit down on, but didn't quite know how to do it."
Anyway, here are some pictures of the stool after it's finished. This stool is a perfect illustration of the old saying, "What goes around, comes around."
 And so on, 'round and 'round and 'round ...


This stool, its seat made of part of an ancient ladder, is also a good illustration of another old saying, "What goes up, must come down." I was thinking I could name this the "Karma stool".
It is for sale for $65. If you're interested, please contact me through the comments section of this blog, or by email at lewagner2002@yahoo.com. (Sorry, this stool is already sold.) For general information about this series of handmade stools, please see the Introduction to this blog.


1 comment: