Sunday, July 22, 2012

Number 13

It's been a very busy week, as raspberries have been at their peak. I spent a lot of time picking them, and dehydrating a lot of them, to ship dehydrated ones overseas.
And what was a tree frog doing in the raspberries? Anyway, the garden work nearly prevented me from making a stool this week.
Still though, I managed to just about finish one stool. I cheated a little, using wood that was still left over from Stool Number 1. A lot of the wood was short pieces, too short to reach across the width of the stool -- so I spliced them together using nails and tying them with wire, the same as I do the other joints on these stools. I'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but I was wrong when I said that Stool Number 1 was made out of balsam branches. After looking at the wood again, I've had to say: "This isn't balsam, this is Spruce!"
For the seat, I picked up a couple of bundles-worth of old lath that was lying along the edges of the garden, formerly used to nail some plastic netting to the fence. The lath is weathered, but still sound, as I determined by testing it for springiness over my knee. I wire-brushed and sanded it, then criss-crossed it so there are 3 full layers -- further braced from beneath with a partial 4th layer. This seat isn't going to break, even if someone stands on it!
I varnished it with several coats of water-based poly. The lath on the seat will still take a few more coats, which it will get tomorrow. It was shiny enough already to stick it up on this blog.

This stool is for sale for $65. Please contact me through the comments section of this blog, or by emailing me at lewagner2002@yahoo.com. Refer to Stool Number 13.  (Sorry, this stool has already been sold.)
For general information about these stools, please see the Introduction to this blog.







No comments:

Post a Comment