Friday, July 13, 2012

Number 12

This is another stool made of apple wood. There is a large tree of little green apples in the back yard, with lots of little trees coming up underneath it. These little brushy trees coming up make it difficult to get to the main tree, and don't add anything to apple production whatsoever. So I cut a couple of them out to make a stool with.

Last time I made a stool out of apple wood, I used wood from a tree in the front yard that has little red apples. As I peeled the bark off the wood from that tree, I was surprised to see that the inner bark was bright pink. Now this time as I peeled the bark off the wood from the tree with little green apples, I saw that the inner bark is bright green.
I considered stating this as a general principle about apple trees, that the color of the apple is determined by the color of the inner bark of the branches, and vice versa ... but I'd really be talking off the top of my head if I stated that as a general principle, since I've only looked at the inner bark of these two trees, not really enough of a sampling. After I sample a few more apple trees, and ask around for other people's experiences, I'll be sure to let you know.

Be that as it may, I looked in vain in my pile of old boards under my work table for any wood that was the color of little green apples for the seat of this stool. I did still have some pieces of pine boards left that had been painted red over a coat of blue paint, though. The back side of those boards had been painted white at one time. Red, White and Blue are the colors of the flag, of course, which everyone knows stands for mom and apple pie -- even if the pie is made of green apples, not red ones, and even if this is a stool, and not a pie.
This stool (two photos below) is for sale for $65.  If interested, please contact me through the comments section of this blog, or by email at lewagner2002@yahoo.com. Reference: Stool Number 12. (Sorry, this stool is already sold.)
 For general information about these stools, please see Introduction.



No comments:

Post a Comment