Monday, June 25, 2012

Number 8

This stool is another one made of what we locally call "popple", or more properly,
"Aspen".
I had some branches left from the first popple stool I made, and basically only needed a seat. I took a couple of pieces of firewood about 4 inches in diameter, and split them with a hatchet to form some fairly regular split boards, which I used for the seat. Then there were some boards that didn't split off evenly but were bigger on one end and smaller on the other. Instead of using round branches for this stool's legs, I nailed 2 or 3 of these uneven pieces together to form slightly tapered legs.
The seat shows an interesting grain, as when popple is split right down the middle, the first year's growth is visible as a dark heart-wood, with the smallest branches visible as they first started growing.
Otherwise, this stool is not unlike its siblings: For sale for $65.
If interested, please contact me through the comments section of this blog, or by email at lewagner2002@yahoo.com. Reference: Stool Number 8.
For general info about these stools, please see Introduction.

No comments:

Post a Comment